Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of antimicrobial in English:
Active against microbes.
- Some burns units treat difficult wounds such as facial burns by leaving them exposed and applying antimicrobial ointment.
- Mammals make more than 500 antimicrobial peptides, and their ancestry dates back some 300 million years.
- A variety of antimicrobial peptides are present in mammals.
nounBack to top
An antimicrobial substance.
- Examples of such devices include catheters coated with heparin or an antibiotic agent, bone cements containing antimicrobials, and blood bags containing anticoagulant or preservation agents.
- There is no evidence for prescribing combinations of topical steroids and antimicrobials over steroids alone.
- Generally, patients who state they have a ‘sulfa’ allergy are referring to sulfonamide antimicrobials, such as sulfamethoxazole.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.