Definition of antioxidant in English:
1A substance that inhibits oxidation, especially one used to counteract the deterioration of stored food products.
- An imbalance between production of ROS and production of antioxidants results in oxidative stress.
- Richness in color appears to be a sign that foods are high in antioxidants.
- Alkaloids, phenols, antioxidants and lipids were never detected.
1.1A substance such as vitamin C or E that removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in a living organism.
- They claim that the modified atmosphere packaging process damages vitamin C and antioxidants in lettuce leaves.
- Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant, and vitamin D may check prostate-cancer cell growth.
- These antioxidants and enzymes remove or inactivate the free radicals.
Definition of antioxidant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia