Definition of antipsychotic in English:
(Chiefly of a drug) used to treat psychotic disorders.
- The manic episodes of bipolar disorder are often treated using antipsychotic drugs (sometimes called neuroleptics).
- Our review identified only five trials evaluating use of oral atypical antipsychotic drugs to treat the behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia.
- The prevalence of sexual dysfunction in men and women treated with antipsychotic drugs is high; however, the contribution of hyperprolactinaemia and secondary hypogonadism needs to be determined.
nounBack to top
An antipsychotic drug.
- The drugs used for schizophrenia are antipsychotics or neuroleptics (major tranquillizers).
- The drug list included all available antidepressants, antianxiety agents, antipsychotics, and anticonvulsants.
- The newer antipsychotics that drug makers introduced in the 1990s allegedly cause fewer neurological side effects.
Definition of antipsychotic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India