Definition of antiquarian in English:
1Relating to or dealing in antiques or rare books.
- He sought out rare and out-of-print books from antiquarian booksellers, including a set of delightful eighteenth-century guidebooks by the York publisher Thomas Gent.
- This will be a full time unit housing books from 12 different antiquarian booksellers around the country.
- The York National Book Fair is an annual event and lays claim to being Britain's largest rare and antiquarian book fair with some 200 booksellers and an estimate of some 100,000 books on offer.
1.1Valuable because rare or old: out-of-print and antiquarian books
More example sentences
- The valuable antiquarian books include rare first editions of Principia Mathematica, by Sir Isaac Newton - discoverer of the law of gravity.
- Music colleges have extensive collections of music in all genres, often receiving valuable bequests from former pupils, and many house valuable antiquarian collections.
- Many valuable volumes (valuable for their content, not their antiquarian nature) have been simply consigned to landfill.
nounBack to top
A person who studies or collects antiques or antiquities.
- Centuries after sword manufacturing in Hounslow had ceased, some antiquarians began collecting the surviving specimens.
- It was a time when large numbers of women and antiquarians were collecting ceramics, chiefly the refined wares used in America during the colonial and early Federal periods.
- Napoleon has with him scholars, including antiquarians and linguists, whose job it is to unravel the mysteries of ancient Egypt.
- Example sentences
- In its merger of antiquarianism and fantasy, artisanship and magic, the castle neatly sums up the art of its creator, Hayao Miyazaki.
- My interest is no mere trivial and reactionary antiquarianism.
- It is a new antiquarianism, oblivious to any real sense of historical understanding, engagement or critique.
Words that rhyme with antiquarianagrarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
Definition of antiquarian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan