- (Especially of a drug) used to prevent or relieve a cough.More example sentences
- Little is known about the pathogenesis of this cough, which frequently proves resistant to conventional antitussive therapies.
- The alkaloid was found to be devoid of analgesic properties but to possess central antitussive activity equal to that of codeine.
- Syrup alone may act as a demulcent and provide antitussive action without side effects.
nounBack to top
- An antitussive drug.More example sentences
- Premedication generally consists of sedation, an anticholinergic agent, and an antitussive.
- Do not take an antitussive if you are coughing up mucus.
More definitions of antitussiveDefinition of antitussive in:
- The British & World English dictionary