Definition of antitussive in English:
(Especially of a drug) used to prevent or relieve a cough.
- Little is known about the pathogenesis of this cough, which frequently proves resistant to conventional antitussive therapies.
- The alkaloid was found to be devoid of analgesic properties but to possess central antitussive activity equal to that of codeine.
- Syrup alone may act as a demulcent and provide antitussive action without side effects.
nounBack to top
An antitussive drug.
- Premedication generally consists of sedation, an anticholinergic agent, and an antitussive.
- Do not take an antitussive if you are coughing up mucus.
Words that rhyme with antitussivepercussive
Definition of antitussive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.