A word opposite in meaning to another (e.g., bad and good).
More example sentences
- The thesaurus provides synonyms, antonyms and related words, and is accessed by just right-clicking on the word to be looked up, and selecting ‘Thesaurus’ from the right-mouse menu.
- What exactly are the differences between synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms?
- The words aren't precise antonyms, but they're somewhat close to it.
mid 19th century: from French antonyme, from ant- (from Greek anti- 'against') + Greek onuma 'name'.
- More example sentences
- The intention has not been to define or discriminate them, but to arrange them in synonymous and antonymous groups; it serves as both a word-finder and a prompter of the memory regarding words one knows but could not recall to mind.
- We pick up the occasional word - ‘ethical… responsible… trustworthy’ - and we sense that Bill is compiling an antonymous description of the young man.
- So whatever is meant by absolutism is antonymous to relativism.
Definition of antonym in:
- The British & World English dictionary