Definition of aphtha in English:
noun (plural aphthae /-THē/)Medicine
1A small ulcer occurring in groups in the mouth or on the tongue.
- Several conditions should be considered in the differential diagnosis when evaluating patients with recurrent aphthae.
- Recurrent aphthae constitute the most common oral mucosal disease and affects up to 25% of the population.
- Herpetiform aphthae often appear in the back of the mouth, and usually heal within a month.
- Example sentences
- Also known as aphthous ulcers or aphthous stomatitis, canker sores are small sores that can occur inside a person's mouth, cheeks, lips, throat, or sometimes on the tongue.
- The medical term for canker sores is aphthous ulcers.
- He also had painful aphthous ulceration of his oral mucosa and genitalia.
Definition of aphtha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia