Definition of apomixis in English:
Asexual reproduction in plants, in particular agamospermy. Often contrasted with amphimixis.
- Another example is the major impact that understanding apomixis would have on plant breeding.
- During in vivo development, maternal apomixis refers to the asexual formation of a seed from the maternal tissues of the ovule, avoiding the processes of meiosis and fertilization.
- It is noteworthy that according to the studies of Illg, M. brasiliensis may be apomictic, although pollinator-dependent; i.e. apomixis is triggered by pollen-tube development.
- Example sentences
- Maternal apomictic embryos develop from a somatic cell within the ovule or from an unreduced embryo sac derived from the megaspore mother cell (diplospory).
- The results show that early fertilization leads to the formation of apomictic embryos while fertilization at anthesis favours the formation of sexually derived embryos.
- Furthermore, apomictic reproduction has been found in most polyploid Corollinae species, which, if transferred to cultivated beet, has the potential to improve the fixation of desired genotypes in breeding programmes.
Definition of apomixis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan