The death of cells that occurs as a normal and controlled part of an organism’s growth or development. Also called programmed cell death.
- Programmed cell death by apoptosis plays a key role in molding the form of chick and mammalian limbs, especially the digits.
- Radioiodine can cause significant apoptosis and mitotic cell death in the thyroid tissue.
- In addition, the signals that lead a cell to necrosis or apoptosis remain to be elucidated.
- Example sentences
- This removal of apoptotic neutrophils by macrophage phagocytosis is a critical process for the resolution of inflammation.
- We recommend further evaluation using additional special techniques for detecting apoptotic leukocytes.
- They are thought to represent lysosomal globules, composed of apoptotic bodies phagocytosed by the tumor cells.
1970s: from Greek apoptōsis 'falling off', from apo 'from' + ptōsis 'falling, a fall'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of apoptosis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.