Definition of apostrophize in English:
1 Rhetoric Address an exclamatory passage in a speech or poem to (someone or something).
- In lyrics, I would claim, this possibility of address reveals a fundamental structure - whether the poem actually apostrophizes anyone or anything.
- Both frequently apostrophize unidentified addressees, and both manipulate pronouns in intriguing ways, but his lyrics imply mundane, domestic situations.
- Lucy apostrophizes the elements as her demonic foe.
2Punctuate (a word) with an apostrophe.
- Personally I think there is a case for omitting the apostrophe when the word which might be apostrophised describes, either on its own or as part of a compound adjective, what sort of noun it is, rather than who it belongs to.
- I hate when I apostrophize words incorrectly and there is no edit feature.
- I didn't apostrophize my plurals in my post.
Definition of apostrophize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan