Definition of apostrophize in English:
1 Rhetoric Address an exclamatory passage in a speech or poem to (someone or something).
- In lyrics, I would claim, this possibility of address reveals a fundamental structure - whether the poem actually apostrophizes anyone or anything.
- Both frequently apostrophize unidentified addressees, and both manipulate pronouns in intriguing ways, but his lyrics imply mundane, domestic situations.
- Lucy apostrophizes the elements as her demonic foe.
2Punctuate (a word) with an apostrophe.
- Personally I think there is a case for omitting the apostrophe when the word which might be apostrophised describes, either on its own or as part of a compound adjective, what sort of noun it is, rather than who it belongs to.
- I hate when I apostrophize words incorrectly and there is no edit feature.
- I didn't apostrophize my plurals in my post.
Definition of apostrophize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.