- The region of the hypothalamus of the brain that is believed to control a person’s appetite for food.More example sentences
- The entire regulatory apparatus is sometimes called the ‘appestat’ on the analogy of a thermostat, which regulates temperature.
- Just as a thermostat regulates the temperature in your house, the appestat regulates the appetite control.
- This is because their appestat tells them to keep eating because the food in their diet lacks nutritional value.
1950s: from appetite, probably on the pattern of thermostat.
More definitions of appestatDefinition of appestat in:
- The British & World English dictionary