Definition of apse in English:
1A large semicircular or polygonal recess in a church, arched or with a domed roof, typically at the eastern end, and usually containing the altar.
- They were seated at the midpoint of the nave, with us facing them backward, that is, toward the narthex rather than the apse of the cathedral.
- A number of buildings, at Vindolanda, South Shields, Housesteads and Birdoswald, have been claimed as Christian churches, largely on account of their having semi-circular apses.
- Inside is a nave surmounted by a generous barrel vault supported by large but simple columns and flanked by side aisles; a transept separates the nave from a central apse behind the altar.
2 another term for apsis.
- Further, it should be stated that the assumption is negatived by the movement of the moon's apse.
- Moreover, the progression of the Moon's apse, thus determined by Newton, is but half its true amount.
- A break-down of the secular rates of motion of the lunar orbit's apse and line of nodes, taken from Brown's lunar theory, is instructive in this respect.
Words that rhyme with apsecollapse, craps, elapse, lapse, perhaps, schnapps
Definition of apse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.