- archaic term for nitric acid.More example sentences
- The old name of nitric acid is aqua fortis meaning ‘strong water.’
- Old time gun makers stained their stocks with aqua fortis, a combination of nitric acid diluted with distilled water and iron filings.
- Nitric acid at this phase is called aqua fortis and when it is concentrated, concentrated nitric.
late 15th century: from Latin, literally 'strong water'.
More definitions of aqua fortisDefinition of aqua fortis in:
- The British & World English dictionary