Definition of aquamarine in English:
1A precious stone consisting of a light bluish-green variety of beryl.
- Again, it is assumed that readers know aquamarine is beryl, amethyst is quartz, and Iceland spar is calcite but cannot grapple with the complexity of remembering that spessartine and grossular are garnets.
- The other gems include aquamarines, beryl and moonstones, which are designed to suit one's personality.
- Smoky quartz, topaz, and microcline variety amazonite from the Pikes Peak Granite and beryl variety aquamarine from Mount Antero are well-known Colorado gemstones from pegmatites.
1.1A light bluish-green color: the aquamarine of the Atlantic Ocean [as modifier]: the aquamarine water
More example sentences
- The aquamarine colour of the water glowed from the pools lights and reflected on the walls, making it the only source of light in the room.
- With a few sips you can see the aquamarine waters, feel the gentle breeze, and start swaying like a palm frond.
- Our last stop is a spot called Emerald Cave, where the sun's rays don't reach the water, but the water glows a vivid aquamarine, as if lit from below.
early 18th century: from Latin aqua marina 'seawater'.
Definition of aquamarine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan