Definition of aquatic in English:
1Of or relating to water.
- The second phase includes an aquatic center with water slides, and a third phase includes an auditorium that can be converted into an indoor soccer facility.
- They rise out of the water like aquatic chook pens.
- The second part of the plan is meant to set up standards to ensure that enough water always remains in rivers to support the aquatic environment.
1.1(Of a plant or animal) growing or living in or near water: the bay could support aquatic life
More example sentences
- In summer, aquatic insects, other aquatic invertebrates, and some plant material are eaten.
- They also forage in shallow water for aquatic invertebrates and catch insects on foliage or near the surface of water.
- In place of managed turf to the water's edge, plant aquatic vegetation along out-of-play shorelines.
1.2(Of a sport) played in or on water.
- If you can't leave the kids behind, face-painting, interactive games, beach volleyball, aquatic sports and a wall-climb are happening too.
- The meet was an unqualified success: a glitzy, two-week, global advertisement for swimming and the other aquatic sports.
- Unfortunately, a similar statement can be made about politics in the aquatic sports.
1.3(Of a shop or dealer) specializing in products for ponds or aquariums.
- Staff at a Sheffield poultry firm, a farmer in Jedburgh and employees at an aquatic shop in Newcastle upon Tyne all escaped unscathed.
- The change takes effect immediately and reflects the organization's continued efforts to create one of the most recognizable and valuable brands in the aquatics industry.
- Hi, I'm thinking more and more about starting an aquatic shop in my town.
nounBack to top
1An aquatic plant or animal, typically one suitable for a pond or aquarium.
- Most aquatics grow best when planted in wide, shallow containers that you submerge in the pond.
- Pot up aquatics the way you would any plant, adding about a teaspoon of 5-10-5 granular fertilizer to the soil in each pot before planting.
- Or use the cauldron as a water garden and grow horsetail, a water lily or other aquatics.
2 (aquatics) Sports played in or on water.
- Among the sports the athletes will play are athletics, aquatics, tennis, five-a-side football, volleyball and bocce.
- They would also appreciate assistance from anyone with a knowledge of the following sports - aquatics, athletics, cycling, table tennis, basketball, football, unified football and judo.
- Twenty-two major sports, including aquatics, cycling, figure skating, golf, martial arts, soccer, track and field, and wrestling will be included.
Words that rhyme with aquaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.