- 1Of or relating to water.More example sentences
- The second phase includes an aquatic center with water slides, and a third phase includes an auditorium that can be converted into an indoor soccer facility.
- They rise out of the water like aquatic chook pens.
- The second part of the plan is meant to set up standards to ensure that enough water always remains in rivers to support the aquatic environment.
- 1.1(Of a plant or animal) growing or living in or near water: the bay could support aquatic lifeMore example sentences
- In summer, aquatic insects, other aquatic invertebrates, and some plant material are eaten.
- They also forage in shallow water for aquatic invertebrates and catch insects on foliage or near the surface of water.
- In place of managed turf to the water's edge, plant aquatic vegetation along out-of-play shorelines.
- 1.2(Of a sport) played in or on water.More example sentences
- If you can't leave the kids behind, face-painting, interactive games, beach volleyball, aquatic sports and a wall-climb are happening too.
- The meet was an unqualified success: a glitzy, two-week, global advertisement for swimming and the other aquatic sports.
- Unfortunately, a similar statement can be made about politics in the aquatic sports.
- 1.3(Of a shop or dealer) specializing in products for ponds or aquariums.More example sentences
- Staff at a Sheffield poultry firm, a farmer in Jedburgh and employees at an aquatic shop in Newcastle upon Tyne all escaped unscathed.
- The change takes effect immediately and reflects the organization's continued efforts to create one of the most recognizable and valuable brands in the aquatics industry.
- Hi, I'm thinking more and more about starting an aquatic shop in my town.
nounBack to top
- 1An aquatic plant or animal, typically one suitable for a pond or aquarium.More example sentences
- Most aquatics grow best when planted in wide, shallow containers that you submerge in the pond.
- Pot up aquatics the way you would any plant, adding about a teaspoon of 5-10-5 granular fertilizer to the soil in each pot before planting.
- Or use the cauldron as a water garden and grow horsetail, a water lily or other aquatics.
- 2 (aquatics) Sports played in or on water.More example sentences
- Among the sports the athletes will play are athletics, aquatics, tennis, five-a-side football, volleyball and bocce.
- They would also appreciate assistance from anyone with a knowledge of the following sports - aquatics, athletics, cycling, table tennis, basketball, football, unified football and judo.
- Twenty-two major sports, including aquatics, cycling, figure skating, golf, martial arts, soccer, track and field, and wrestling will be included.
late 15th century (in the sense 'watery, rainy'): from Old French aquatique or Latin aquaticus, from aqua 'water'.