Definition of aquatint in English:
1A print resembling a watercolor, produced from a copper plate etched with nitric acid.
- A recent exhibit of his work at the Philadelphia Museum of Art featured his carborundum prints, his etchings, lithographs, aquatints and watercolors.
- These would include nine drawings, 11 lithographs, seven etchings, four aquatints, two linocuts, two round dish prints and a set of eight ceramic plates.
- He created lithographs, etchings, drypoints, lino cuts, woodcuts and aquatints.
1.1The technique or process of producing aquatints.
- Similar to mezzotint, aquatint is a technique to produce prints with the effect of printing rather whole areas than just lines.
- The intaglio printmaking techniques are engraving, drypoint, etching, aquatint, stipple, mezzotint and are discussed in part two of this article.
- To start with; the first tones to the plate are given with line etching, drypoint, aquatint, softground, photocopy transfer or roulette.
verb[with object] Back to top
Create (a print) using the aquatint process.
- In several prints, texts are etched across aquatinted backgrounds in which ghostly, half-remembered realities float.
- In this etching, line is blended with aquatinted areas in subtle blacks and grays.
- She plays with the medium, placing a cutout aquatinted image in sepia of herself unravelling lino engraved lines of an Eastern Cape landscape.
Words that rhyme with aquatintmonotint • mezzotint
Definition of aquatint in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.