Definition of aquatint in English:
1A print resembling a watercolor, produced from a copper plate etched with nitric acid.
- A recent exhibit of his work at the Philadelphia Museum of Art featured his carborundum prints, his etchings, lithographs, aquatints and watercolors.
- These would include nine drawings, 11 lithographs, seven etchings, four aquatints, two linocuts, two round dish prints and a set of eight ceramic plates.
- He created lithographs, etchings, drypoints, lino cuts, woodcuts and aquatints.
1.1The technique or process of producing aquatints.
- Similar to mezzotint, aquatint is a technique to produce prints with the effect of printing rather whole areas than just lines.
- The intaglio printmaking techniques are engraving, drypoint, etching, aquatint, stipple, mezzotint and are discussed in part two of this article.
- To start with; the first tones to the plate are given with line etching, drypoint, aquatint, softground, photocopy transfer or roulette.
verb[with object] Back to top
Create (a print) using the aquatint process.
- In several prints, texts are etched across aquatinted backgrounds in which ghostly, half-remembered realities float.
- In this etching, line is blended with aquatinted areas in subtle blacks and grays.
- She plays with the medium, placing a cutout aquatinted image in sepia of herself unravelling lino engraved lines of an Eastern Cape landscape.
Definition of aquatint in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan