A large, long edible freshwater fish native to tropical South America.
- Arapaima gigas, family Osteoglossidae
More example sentences
- There's also excellent fishing in the Essequibo, and the chance to spot aquatic life such as otters, caimans, and freshwater turtles, and the enormous arapaima, the world's largest freshwater fish.
- The arapaima is found in the Amazon and Orinoco River drainage of South America.
- The Brazilian government has now banned commercial fishing for arapaima, but enforcement is difficult.
mid 19th century: from Tupi.
Definition of arapaima in:
- The British & World English dictionary