Definition of arapaima in English:
A large, long edible freshwater fish native to tropical South America.
- Arapaima gigas, family Osteoglossidae
- There's also excellent fishing in the Essequibo, and the chance to spot aquatic life such as otters, caimans, and freshwater turtles, and the enormous arapaima, the world's largest freshwater fish.
- The arapaima is found in the Amazon and Orinoco River drainage of South America.
- The Brazilian government has now banned commercial fishing for arapaima, but enforcement is difficult.
mid 19th century: from Tupi.
Definition of arapaima in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia