- 1A North American and eastern Asian evergreen coniferous tree of the cypress family.
More example sentences
- Genus Thuja, family Cupressaceae: several species, in particular the northern white cedar (see white cedar)
- I just had large arbor vitaes removed and a dying pin oak.
- We removed it, which gave the grass beneath it a fighting chance of living, and planted a line of arbor vitaes between our house and our neighbor's instead.
- It is best known to the public in general, when cultivated for ornamental gardening, as it frequently is, as the arbor vitae, or ‘tree of life.’
- 2The arborescent appearance of the white matter in a vertical section of the cerebellum.More example sentences
- Because the tissue is highly branched it is called arborvitae.
- In the middle of the arborvitae are the cerebellar nuclei.
- Anderson also points out the sections of the brain, the arbor vitae (also known as the "tree of life").
mid 16th century: from Latin, literally 'tree of life', probably with reference to its medicinal use.
More definitions of arbor vitaeDefinition of arbor vitae in:
- The British & World English dictionary