noun (plural arboretums or arboreta /-ˈrētə/)
- A botanical garden devoted to trees.More example sentences
- The Center for Plant Conservation, housed at the Missouri Botanical Garden, has organized a network of arboreta that keep endangered plants from across the United States.
- At the northeast corner of the arboretum is the wooden Tree House.
- It is one of the first trees in the arboretum to come into leaf and flowers prolifically with large creamy/pink blossoms in spring.
early 19th century: from Latin, 'a place with trees', from arbor 'tree' + -etum.
More definitions of arboretumDefinition of arboretum in:
- The British & World English dictionary