Definition of arbutus in English:
Either of two evergreen plants of the family Ericaceae (heath family).
- ● A tree or shrub of the genus Arbutus, which includes the strawberry tree. ● (in full trailing arbutus) A North American trailing plant that bears pink or white flowers (Epigaea repens). Also called mayflower
- We ran to daycare together and pointed out all the arbutus trees along the way.
- But it seemed so distant from where he sat now, with mosquitoes biting at his wrists and a wilted arbutus on the sill.
- Also known as arbutus or madrona, these large, red-barked trees cling to the cliffs above Puget Sound like well-muscled rock climbers.
Definition of arbutus in:
- British & World English dictionary