Definition of archaic in English:
1Very old or old-fashioned: prisons are run on archaic methods
More example sentences
- The company also plans to pay artists a higher royalty for songs downloaded online, while scrapping archaic methods for calculating Internet sales.
- Director of the Scottish Tourist Forum, Ivan Broussine, warned that archaic attitudes were threatening the health of the tourist industry.
- In short, the modernization of economic structures leads to a rise, rather than a decline, in archaic attitudes of mind.
1.1(Of a word or a style of language) no longer in everyday use but sometimes used to impart an old-fashioned flavor.
- They may have translated the archaic terms into scientific-sounding language, but it's the same old vitalism, dressed up as quantum physics.
- Because they are short or perceived as popular, certain archaic words survive in newspaper usage: agog, foe, hustings, scribe, slay.
- Elevation is lent to his language by archaic and poetic words and an admixture of neologisms, while his extensive use of metaphor more closely resembles poetic than prose usage.
1.2Of an early period of art or culture, especially the 7th-6th centuries bc in Greece: the archaic temple at Corinth
More example sentences
- Schaps, however, underestimates the market orientation of Greek agriculture in the later archaic period.
- This city was settled by Phoenicians in the archaic period and it challenged the rising Roman Republic in three wars culminating in its own destruction in the second century B.C.E.
- Concerning the archaic period, Reed admits that he is engaging in ‘cautious guesswork’.
- Example sentences
- The archaically worded patent - for an ‘information handling system and terminal apparatus’ - makes passing reference to links within the ‘remote terminal’ network that you might remember as Prestel.
- But archaically the ladies' menus don't show prices.
- I'm self employed, a good chunk of my clients still - archaically - pay by cheque.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan