Definition of archerfish in English:
noun (plural same or archerfishes)
A freshwater fish that knocks insect prey off overhanging vegetation by spitting water at it. It is native to Asia, Australia, and the Philippines.
- Genus Toxotes, family Toxotidae: several species, in particular T. jaculator
- By shooting jets or bullets of water, and correcting for light refraction, archerfishes knock insects down to the water surface and quickly consume them.
- Colisa uses the same technique as archerfishes to prey on insects just above the water.
- Banded archerfish have a deep laterally-compressed body with a flattened head and back.
Definition of archerfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.