Definition of archerfish in English:
noun (plural same or archerfishes)
A freshwater fish that knocks insect prey off overhanging vegetation by spitting water at it. It is native to Asia, Australia, and the Philippines.
- Genus Toxotes, family Toxotidae: several species, in particular T. jaculator
- By shooting jets or bullets of water, and correcting for light refraction, archerfishes knock insects down to the water surface and quickly consume them.
- Colisa uses the same technique as archerfishes to prey on insects just above the water.
- Banded archerfish have a deep laterally-compressed body with a flattened head and back.
Definition of archerfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan