Definition of archive in English:
1A collection of historical documents or records providing information about a place, institution, or group of people: source materials in local archives [as modifier]: a section of archive film
More example sentences
- Many public libraries also have local history sections containing archives relating to local musical activities and famous musicians.
- Shot by pioneering film-makers Mitchell & Kenyon, the discovery of this archive collection will rewrite British film history.
- Through personal archives and institutions we compiled about 500 diaries and a few thousand postcards and letters.
1.1The place where historical documents or records are kept: to get into the archives I had to fill in a request form
More example sentences
- Plans for a ‘joined up service’, with libraries, archives, museums and galleries all together under one roof, have been launched by East Riding Council.
- Col Babbitt and Mrs Zemp were invited to visit Rishworth School and yesterday saw the original Sowerby Parish Registers at the archives in the Central Library.
- The new gallery, with its associated study room and archives, is a £10m joint venture.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Place or store (something) in an archive.
- The challenges involved in displaying and archiving information on the web are huge and the move to multimedia presentation is adding to the complexity of the task.
- At present, the collection is archived but not available to the web-browser.
- How do you archive these materials for later reference as well as maximize the material's life expectancy?
1.1 Computing Transfer (data) to a less frequently used storage medium such as magnetic tape, typically external to the computer system and having a greater storage capacity.
- Tape remains a strong contender for long term data archiving and off-site storage.
- Tape is the overwhelming computer medium of choice for archiving.
- You manage your e-mail by archiving it on cheaper storage devices.
Words that rhyme with archivebeehive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan