- 1A level area surrounded by seats for spectators, in which sports, entertainments, and other public events are held.More example sentences
- Whole towns could be surrounded, or a mile-wide dragnet thrown over an area which contained sporting arenas.
- We need to build new stadia and other sporting arenas promptly in order not to be disadvantaged at critical times.
- I had seen pictures of sports arenas and Coliseums but I had never actually been inside one.
- 1.1A place or scene of activity, debate, or conflict: he has re-entered the political arenaMore example sentences
- During the week running up to the meeting the campus was transformed into an arena of political debate.
- These arguments have now been tested in a political arena for the first time.
- It is high time we gave shape to a new culture, where each arena of activity is given its due place.
early 17th century: from Latin harena, arena 'sand, sand-strewn place of combat'.