Definition of arenaceous in English:
1Consisting of sand or sandlike particles.
- In the Stretton Hills and on the Long Mynd there is a sequence of largely arenaceous beds, the Longmyndian Supergroup, whose age is unknown.
- Most of this arenaceous succession displays abundant trough and tabular cross-bedding.
- The characteristics and depositional environments of these mostly arenaceous formations are summarized in Table 1.
1.1 Biology (Of animals or plants) living or growing in sand.
- Massart speaks of it as occurring in the Algerian Sahara as a typical arenaceous plant.
- He asked his botany teacher if spinach is considered an arenaceous plant.
- The measurement of soil water content within the community shows that fugitive dunes can keep soil water effectively and that the selected drought-tolerant arenaceous plants, can survive under extreme drought conditions.
mid 17th century: from Latin arenaceus, from arena, harena 'sand'.
Definition of arenaceous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan