1Consisting of sand or sandlike particles.
- In the Stretton Hills and on the Long Mynd there is a sequence of largely arenaceous beds, the Longmyndian Supergroup, whose age is unknown.
- Most of this arenaceous succession displays abundant trough and tabular cross-bedding.
- The characteristics and depositional environments of these mostly arenaceous formations are summarized in Table 1.
1.1 Biology (Of animals or plants) living or growing in sand.
- Massart speaks of it as occurring in the Algerian Sahara as a typical arenaceous plant.
- He asked his botany teacher if spinach is considered an arenaceous plant.
- The measurement of soil water content within the community shows that fugitive dunes can keep soil water effectively and that the selected drought-tolerant arenaceous plants, can survive under extreme drought conditions.
Mid 17th century: from Latin arenaceus, from arena, harena 'sand'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of arenaceous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.