- An areola, especially a small area bearing spines or hairs on a cactus.More example sentences
- The spines grow from an areole covered with glochids, which are tiny, barbed spines characteristic of all Opuntia.
- Such gas exchange measurements, which were performed on the same fruits throughout their development, were done during clear days, on east-facing unshaded fruits, and avoiding the areoles.
- The surface of the cell is coarsely areolate, with a pore in each areole.
mid 19th century: from French aréole, from Latin (see areola).
More definitions of areoleDefinition of areole in:
- The British & World English dictionary