- Of or resembling silver.More example sentences
- Visible even from a distance, its argentine spires punctured the horizon with needles of light, whilst its great walls reflected the rays of the rising sun.
nounBack to top
- A small marine fish with a silvery sheen.
More example sentences
- Family Argentinidae: two genera and several species, in particular Argentina silus of the North Atlantic
- A number of the deepwater species on the existing list, ling, argentines and Greenland halibut have been transferred to the Total Allowable Catch (TAC) and quotas regulation.
- The Atlantic argentine (Argentina silus) is found from the Arctic waters of Davis Strait south to Labrador, as well as in other areas of the North Atlantic.
- They are small fishes, growing up to 25 cm long, excepting the Greater argentine, Argentina silus, which reaches 70 cm.
late Middle English: from Old French argentin, argentine, from argent 'silver', from Latin argentum.
More definitions of argentineDefinition of argentine in:
- The British & World English dictionary