- A sedimentary rock that does not split easily, formed from consolidated clay.More example sentences
- The Nelson mineral belt was rich in argillite, a dark stone which made fine tools.
- Bear images were carved into blocks of argillite, claystone, and wood or sculpted from clay, with the creative three-dimensional transformations displaying a remarkably naturalistic style.
- Low water levels reveal carved layers of green and red argillite.
late 18th century: from Latin argilla 'clay' + -ite1.
More definitions of argilliteDefinition of argillite in:
- The British & World English dictionary