Definition of argonaut in English:
A small floating octopus, the female of which has webbed arms like sails and secretes a thin, coiled, papery shell in which the eggs are laid. Also called paper nautilus.
- Genus Argonauta, order Octopoda
- The coleoids include modern squids, cuttlefish, octopuses, and the argonauts or paper-nautilus, together with extinct groups such as the belemnites.
- These ammoniac egg cases/brood chambers closely resemble the female Argonauta shell, produced for this purpose by the adult argonaut.
- One of the most astounding cephalopods is the paper nautilus also known as argonaut.
Definition of argonaut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan