- 1A member of the aristocracy: an aristocrat by birthMore example sentences
- It swept away the old feudal order of aristocrats and kings.
- Luchino Visconti was an aristocrat who became a Communist.
- These are the new collectors, as opposed to aristocrats or members of other wealthy families who have inherited art.
- 1.1Something believed to be the best of its kind: the trout is the aristocrat of freshwater fishMore example sentences
- Whatever physical standards the Persian may meet, this aristocrat of catdom is well known for its charisma and loyalty.
- Now, of course, monkfish is a sort of aristocrat of fish.
- ‘Whether aristocrat, moggie or mouser, a cat is at home in the most stylish of settings,’ she writes.
late 18th century: from French aristocrate (a word of the French Revolution), from aristocratie (see aristocracy).