- In principle this included the four mathematical sciences: arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music.
- Cardinal Algebras presents a study of algebras satisfying certain properties which capture the arithmetic of cardinal numbers.
- The mathematical part of the Aryabhatiya covers arithmetic, algebra, plane trigonometry and spherical trigonometry.
- If U is a positive integer, we can calculate the function's value by simple arithmetic: Just multiply e by itself U times.
- No matter how poor my calculating skills are however, I do know some simple arithmetic.
- The Stand and Deliver message, that the touch of a master could bring unmotivated students from arithmetic to calculus in a single year, was preached in schools throughout the nation.
- Thus, this conjecture of Artin was the origin of a wide range of activities in what is now called arithmetic geometry.
- Among the series al-Umawi considers are arithmetic and geometric series.
- We do not get to geometrical or arithmetic objects via any process.
- Example sentences
- A hound whose speed increases arithmetically chases a hare whose speed also increases arithmetically, how far do they travel before the hound catches the hare?
- The problem comes when you try to think algebraically, or arithmetically, about the Gauss problem.
- But the resources necessary to sustain that increase could be multiplied only arithmetically, adding only a fixed amount every year.
- Example sentences
- … it is a small treatise of seventeen folios in which we find nothing on mensuration that the arithmeticians of the East did not know.
- Perhaps it is best described by al-Samawal, who described it as: -… operating on unknowns using all the arithmetical tools, in the same way as the arithmetician operates on the known.
- The arithmeticians among you will have worked out that this was as the Depression hit.
Middle English: from Old French arismetique, based on Latin arithmetica, from Greek arithmētikē (tekhnē) '(art) of counting', from arithmos 'number'.
Words that rhyme with arithmeticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, ascetic, athletic, balletic, bathetic, cosmetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, kinetic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, peripatetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, splenetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of arithmetic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.