Persuasion by the use of physical force or moral pressure: eight years of arguing and diplomatic arm-twisting
More example sentences
- Ultimately, despite aggressive administration and business arm-twisting, both houses of Congress voted to block the new rule.
- Any arm-twisting or gentle persuasion presumably took place in corridor huddles or late-night conversations.
- Paul Brown Stadium opened in 2000 after years of friendly persuasion and arm-twisting.
- Example sentences
- We'll revise Government guidance which arm-twists councils into unwise speed bump schemes.
- First Roosevelt demanded that Japan quit Indo-China, where the local Vichy-inclined administration had been arm-twisted into a quasi-alliance with Japan, then that Japan vacate China, both on threat of a US oil cut-off.
- His only ally was his younger protégé, Vice President Dick Cheney, who arm-twisted the Bush camp to give Rumsfeld the job of Defense Secretary.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of arm-twisting in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.