1(In the New Testament) the last battle between good and evil before the Day of Judgment.
- Jesus is expected to come back to earth and begin his one thousand-year reign after he defeats the anti-Christ in the battle of Armageddon.
- From the Christian perspective, human history is a struggle between good and evil, with the end of history itself understood in light of the final climactic battle of Armageddon.
- As the time of the tribulation or Armageddon approached, the forces of evil would become restive and more aggressive.
1.2The place where the last battle between good and evil will be fought.
- According to the Book of Revelations, the final battle in the history of the future will be fought on an ancient battlefield in northern Israel called Armageddon.
- Firstly, the plains of Armageddon are where a great mass of armies will gather, not fight.
- Israeli archaeologists on Saturday said they had discovered what may be the oldest Christian church in the Holy Land on the grounds of a prison near the biblical site of Armageddon.
1.3A dramatic and catastrophic conflict, typically seen as likely to destroy the world or the human race: nuclear Armageddon
More example sentences
- Ten years after the end of the Cold War, the threat of a nuclear Armageddon has receded, but the collapse of world communism and its repercussions are still works in progress.
- With no choice but retaliation a nuclear Armageddon ensued.
- In addition, some of the economic arguments proposing financial Armageddon if we vote no are unfounded.
Greek, from Hebrew har mĕgiddōn 'hill of Megiddo' (Rev. 16:16.).
Words that rhyme with Armageddondeaden, leaden, redden
Definition of Armageddon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.