Definition of armchair in English:
A comfortable chair, typically upholstered, with side supports for a person’s arms.
- Office chairs, armchairs, sofas - your back is in peril from all of them.
- Opposite the table was another sitting area, with sofas and armchairs forming three sides of a square.
- The studio is furnished with sofas, armchairs and a coffee table - not a desk in sight.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
Lacking or not involving practical or direct experience of a particular subject or activity: armchair adventurers
More example sentences
- The result is a unique perspective applauded by armchair naturalists in which the stars of the film are also the videographers.
- What do these armchair counter-terrorists propose that Moscow should have done?
- Almost all other commentary was grotesque - the work of armchair generals.
Definition of armchair in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan