Definition of armpit in English:
1A hollow under the arm at the shoulder. Also called axilla.
- Doctors ask about symptoms and examine for swelling of the liver, spleen, and lymph glands in the armpits, groin and neck.
- Sometimes your eyelashes, eyebrows, armpit, pubic and other body hair also falls out.
- The rash is greasy and affects the scalp, face, armpits, groin and skin below the breasts.
1.1 informal , chiefly North American A place regarded as extremely unpleasant: they call the region the armpit of America
More example sentences
- Your dismal little country in the armpit of Nowhere.
- Humorist Gene Weingarten visits Battle Mountain, Nevada and describes how the "Armpit of America" grows on him. [washingtonpost.com]
up to one's armpits
- chiefly US Deeply involved in a particular unpleasant situation or enterprise: the country is up to its armpits in drug traffickingMore example sentences
- ‘We were up to our armpits in that red stuff,’ Sarver recalled recently.
- The poor techies up in Glasgow are up to their armpits in snow, many of them unable to get into work, and I felt it would be callous of me to sit gazing out on my sunny landscape while complaining into the phone.
- Every Monday since our sophomore year (Mac's freshman year), we would go to the mall to spend, eat, or walk away our troubles, but since our teachers had so kindly been piling us with homework up to our armpits, we'd been missing a few days.
Words that rhyme with armpitsandpit • carpet • decrepit
Definition of armpit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.