(also arolla pine)
A tall pine tree native to the Alps and Carpathian mountains, often planted in dense clumps as an avalanche break.
- Pinus cembra, family Pinaceae
More example sentences
- P. cembra, the Swiss stone pine, has a range which extends eastwards from the Alps; and P. gerardiana is a native of the Himalayas.
- Arc 2000 takes you from the imposing kingdom of arolla pines to the ‘roof of the world’.
- The Aletsch forest with its very old Swiss stone pines is an experience well worth making.
late 19th century: from Swiss French arol(l)e.
Definition of arolla in:
- The British & World English dictionary