Definition of arrowroot in English:
1A West Indian herbaceous plant from which a starch is prepared.
- Maranta arundinacea, family Marantaceae
- Indian / South Sea / Polynesian / Tahiti / Hawaii arrowroots are from Tacca leontopetaloides (or, possibly, close relations) One Hawaiian name is pi (not the same as the better-known poi, which is a starch made from taro).
- From 1879 he grew trial crops of coffee, sugar cane, tobacco, arrowroot, rice, peanuts, tea, cotton and other tropical crops.
- Local staples include breadfruit, arrowroot, pandanus, and taro, and are now supplemented with imported rice, flour, and sugar.
1.1The fine-grained starch obtained from the arrowroot, used in cooking and medicine.
- Competitors, using formulae whose ingredients included arrowroot, sago flour, or potato starch, coloured with turmeric or chrome yellow, and flavoured with cassia or bitter almonds, also entered the market.
- And the list goes on, guinea pepper, aniseed and ginger for gas in the stomach, arrowroot, green tea and lime to stop diarrhoea.
- A traditional stabilizer used to be arrowroot, but now agar-agar, carrageen, starches, gelatin, or even pectin are common natural-based stabilizers.
Words that rhyme with arrowrootautoroute
Definition of arrowroot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.