- Relating to or denoting a well bored perpendicularly into water-bearing strata lying at an angle, so that natural pressure produces a constant supply of water with little or no pumping: the water from artesian wells makes agriculture possibleMore example sentences
- The drilling cut off the water supply from three artesian wells on their private land.
- It was taken to Ilam to pump water for domestic supply from an artesian bore near the water wheel to a water tank on a tower beside the homestead.
- In both flowing and non-flowing artesian wells, the water is under higher pressure than would be created by a column of water extending from the depth of the open well to the top of the aquifer.
mid 19th century: from French artésien 'from Artois' (see Artois), where such wells were first made.
More definitions of artesianDefinition of artesian in:
- The British & World English dictionary