Definition of asbestos in English:
1A heat-resistant fibrous silicate mineral that can be woven into fabrics, and is used in fire-resistant and insulating materials such as brake linings: asbestos was used for pipe insulation [as modifier]: asbestos shingles
More example sentences
- The inhalation of amphibole asbestos is now widely recognized as being highly dangerous to human health.
- But his lungs lost the battle for health years ago when he worked with blue asbestos fibres, insulating for the telephone company.
- One of the varieties is the dangerous blue asbestos, crocidolite.
1.1Fabric containing asbestos.
- We eventually had to make special asbestos cloth covers for the footwell to stop the fried foot problem.
- The floor is covered with thick black linoleum and the walls are acoustically treated with an asbestos compound.
- However, the outside walls were never plastered and asbestos was the material used for the roof.
Definition of asbestos in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan