- A fungus whose spores develop within asci. The ascomycetes include most molds, mildews, and yeasts, the fungal component of most lichens, and a few large forms such as morels and truffles. Compare with basidiomycete.
More example sentences
- Phylum Ascomycota (formerly subdivision Ascomycotina), class Ascomycetes
- Many ascomycete spores are reported to be allergenic.
- Interestingly, active members of the pogo family are widely dispersed in ascomycetes, whereas no transposing elements have been found in other organisms.
- Most ascomycetes have only two different mating types, as opposed to certain other fungi, in which many more mating types exist.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Ascomycetes (former class name), from Greek askos 'sac' + muskētes 'fungi'.
More definitions of ascomyceteDefinition of ascomycete in:
- The British & World English dictionary