Definition of ascorbic acid in English:
A vitamin found particularly in citrus fruits and green vegetables. It is essential in maintaining healthy connective tissue, and is also thought to act as an antioxidant. Severe deficiency causes scurvy. Also called vitamin C.
- A lactone; chemical formula: C6H8O6
- Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream.
- The antioxidant ascorbic acid plays an essential role in defending against oxidant attack in the airways.
- Most animals can synthesize this vitamin in the liver, where glucose is converted to ascorbic acid.
Definition of ascorbic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.