1Of the pale gray color of ash: the ashen morning sky
More example sentences
- His hair was a chilling black color, his skin was ashen gray, and his eyes were a chilling blue.
- Through years of boot soles and Border collie paws the unfinished plank floor has grayed and smoothed to ashen silk.
- About 3 days afterward the skin on his forehead, hands, lower legs, and feet was an ashen color and very irritated, and it peeled away.
1.1(Of a person’s face) very pale with shock, fear, or illness.
- His face was ashen white, and he looked like a ghost, his skin almost translucent.
- Daphne freezes, seeing the sudden fear on her father's ashen face.
- Days later, pictures of the residents' ashen faces were plastered over the papers and broadcast on the news every night, invariably showing tightly strapped face-masks.
Words that rhyme with ashenfashion, passion, ration
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan