Definition of ashlar in English:
1Masonry made of large square-cut stones, typically used as a facing on walls of brick or stone.
- The ground or basement story of the Alabama capitol was constructed of traditional masonry consisting of ashlar walls made of locally quarried sandstone.
- The defensive wall was of fine ashlar masonry with a pronounced batter.
- It is built of rubble stone with ashlar dressings on a granite plinth.
1.1A stone used in ashlar.
- Mr Wilshaw promotes the idea of replacement of the damaged stones with reclaimed ashlars.
- The tombs were made of ashlars with dry joints, or of bricks and mortar.
- The gaps above the designated ashlars have been cleared of debris and new ashlars have been inserted.
Definition of ashlar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan