- 1(In South Asia) a hermitage, monastic community, or other place of religious retreat for Hindus.More example sentences
- A trip down the ashrams and bhajan ashrams of this holy city gives an insight into the plight of the ‘elderly’ and how science, technology, and development have not even reached the fringes of this historical place.
- Some are freelance wanderers, moving from town to town; others live ordered monastic lives in ashrams, dividing their day according to strict rules and performing severe penances.
- There is no question that the Spirit is very much present in India: everywhere you go, you find ashrams, yogis, sadhus, ordinary people practicing meditation or pranayama.
- 1.1A place of religious retreat or community life modeled on the Indian ashram.More example sentences
- This successful retreat can be a model for other ashrams and temples in the West.
- The ashram had several retreat cottages for guests.
- The ashram had previously conducted coed retreats, but was aware of studies in education showing the value of all-girl programs.
from Sanskrit āśrama 'hermitage'.
More definitions of ashramDefinition of ashram in:
- The British & World English dictionary