noun (plural aspergilla /-ˈjilə/ or aspergillums)
- An implement for sprinkling holy water.More example sentences
- Suspended from a rod attached to the frame of what must be a devotional picture, the bucket has been turned into a container for holy water with the addition of an aspergillum.
- Within this religious setting, the pot thus functions as a vessel for holy water and the wand as an aspergillum.
- This little device is called aspergillum, after the Latin word for sprinkling, which is aspergo.
mid 17th century: from Latin.
More definitions of aspergillumDefinition of aspergillum in:
- The British & World English dictionary