verb[with object] Phonetics
Pronounce (a sound) as a sibilant or affricate ending in a sibilant (e.g., sound t as ts).
- Moreover, gay men who speak with what a North American newsreader would consider an ‘accent’ - such as British, Australian, or even Texan gays - rarely assibilate at all.
- As such, increasing the periodicity in an assibilated rhotic may lead to the perception of the trill, even if it is not present.
- In medieval manuscripts ti or di with a following vowel or diphthong are frequently replaced by z.
- Example sentences
- The other characteristic feature, which Frisian has carried on a step farther than English, is the assibilation of velars before front vowels.
- I revisited this community to collect data to compare the current findings with the ones yielded in a former study where I contrasted the assibilation in Mexico and in the United States.
- Gay men are not the only group whose members sometimes speak with assibilation.
Mid 19th century: from Latin assibilat- 'hissed at', from the verb assibilare, from ad- 'to' + sibilare 'to hiss'.
Definition of assibilate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.