- 1A task or piece of work assigned to someone as part of a job or course of study: a homework assignmentMore example sentences
- You've got to do your homework, complete class assignments and study for tests.
- In this discussion we offer an overview of the guiding premises and the reading and writing assignments of the course.
- We both have people to talk to occasionally, and to call if we forgot a homework assignment, and study with and such, but neither us have had a real, actual friend since middle school.
- 1.1The allocation of a job or task to someone: the effective assignment of tasksMore example sentences
- What is the typical field worker's task assignment for the day?
- They expect employees will be out on assignment for much of their time so they will not need the space which would once have been their base.
- This would make a great difference in a situation where a destroyer developed critical problems while on assignment away from its base.
- 1.2The task or post to which one has been appointed: his assignment was to the County Court I was on assignment for a German magazineMore example sentences
- Carl had fallen in love with them in Bangalore where he had been posted on an assignment.
- Before he arrived in Bulgaria last October, Roel was posted on a similar assignment, on social dialogue, in Slovakia.
- Kell had served 13 years before his assignment to the communications post at Kamiseya, Japan, in 1966.
- 2The attribution of someone or something as belonging: the assignment of individuals to particular social positionsMore example sentences
- But I also don't want to toss out controlled vocabularies, or expert assignment of categories.
- An assignment to this category is straightforward for duplicates with amino acid sequences of identical length.
- Because these projected experiments had never been done, assignment to a risk category was, of course, somewhat speculative and subjective.
- 3An act of making a legal transfer of a right, property, or liability: an assignment of leasehold propertyMore example sentences
- Moreover, transferees under an equitable assignment need to join the transferor when suing the debtor/obligor.
- There was no conveyance, assignment or transfer.
- An assignment by the mortgagee is not such an action or proceeding.
- 3.1A document effecting the legal transfer of a right or property.More example sentences
- It is important to note that para 25 does no more, but no less, than to preserve the legal effect of a pre-commencement assignment or agreement to assign.
- At this stage there is a lot of paper work to be completed such as, direct debits, life assignments, legal documents.
- The Court disregards the opinion of any witness for either side as to what constitutes an assignment document!
late Middle English: from Old French assignement, from medieval Latin assignamentum, from Latin assignare 'allot' (see assign).