1The provision of money, resources, or information to help someone: plans offering financial assistance to employers she will be glad to give advice and assistance
More example sentences
- This treaty gave China money and technical assistance to modernise her industry.
- The Foreign Office said they were offering full assistance to the man and his employers.
- She has 14 dogs to look after, although she now receives some home assistance to help her out.
help, aid, support, backing, reinforcement, succor, relief, TLC, intervention, cooperation, collaboration;
a (helping) hand, a good turn;
social security, benefits;
informal a break, a leg up
1.1The action of helping someone with a job or task: the work was completed with the assistance of carpenters
More example sentences
- Pen nodded and with the assistance of the nurse she was able to get out of the bed and into the wheel chair.
- I wish to publicly record my gratitude to those whose support and assistance made this possible.
- I owe many people my thanks for their support and assistance during the preparation of this book.
be of assistance
- Be of practical use or help: the guide will be of assistance to development groupsMore example sentences
- We hope this financial contribution will be of assistance.
- This is a very welcome development and will particularly be of assistance to the elderly and those who do not drive or have access to a car.
- I would love very much to make a legitimate connection with Ireland and, thus, would be most indebted to any, and all, that could be of assistance.
come to someone's assistance
- Act to help someone.Example sentences
- After so long, it is really encouraging to see so many people coming to my assistance.
- My friends told me that firefighters would only come to your assistance after a price is negotiated.
- They have contacted many business people in the meantime, which they hope will come to their assistance.
Late Middle English: from Old French, or from medieval Latin assistentia, from Latin assistere (see assist).
Words that rhyme with assistancecoexistence, consistence, distance, existence, insistence, outdistance, persistence, resistance, subsistence
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.