Definition of assumption in English:
1A thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof: they made certain assumptions about the market [with clause]: we’re working on the assumption that the time of death was after midnight
More example sentences
- Unless all of these assumptions are true, mass surveillance would be of very little help.
- These rules are complicated and couples in divorce proceedings should make no assumptions.
- Perhaps you should question your own assumptions about that before you go poking about in mine.
2The action of taking or beginning to take power or responsibility: the assumption of an active role in regional settlements
More example sentences
- The judiciary was badly split by the military's May 29 assumption of executive power.
- Others welcomed Hitler's assumption of power, seeing in it a chance to advance their own careers.
- There are a number of references in the speeches in this case to voluntary assumption of responsibility.
3 (Assumption) The reception of the Virgin Mary bodily into heaven. This was formally declared a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church in 1950. See also Dormition.
- His Requiem Mass was celebrated in the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- The Virgin birth, the bodily Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Resurrection of Jesus, the survival of our own souls after death: these are all claims of a clearly scientific nature.
- Pope Pius XII infallibly proclaimed the doctrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 1 November 1950.
3.1The feast in honor of this, celebrated on August 15.
- The Feast of the Assumption was celebrated with prayers at the Marian Shrine in the village last Sunday after 10.00 am mass.
- Since the opening ceremonies on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, there has been a steady flow of people, both young and old, arriving in Ladywell to pray at the Shrine and sip water from the Holy Well.
- The date was August 15, 1975, the Feast of the Assumption.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan