Definition of aster in English:
1A plant of the daisy family that has bright rayed flowers, typically of purple or pink.
- Genus Aster, family Compositae: numerous species, many of which bloom in autumn, including the wild purple New England aster (A. novae-angliae) . See also China aster
- Sow annual flowers such as asters, cosmos, zinnias and marigolds as soon as the frost has passed and the air begins to warm up.
- There are flowers everywhere in a carpet of colour: orange globemallows and white asters and purple lupins.
- Roses, pansies, perennial asters, zinnias and even weeds become mildewed.
2 Biology A star-shaped structure formed during division of the nucleus of an animal cell.
- Such abnormalities can be due to abnormalities in the number of asters and spindle structures at earlier stages of meiosis.
- Before mitosis, the centrosome becomes duplicated and the daughter centrosomes move to opposite sides of the nucleus and form asters.
- Meiosis is completed shortly after ovulation, concomitant with the formation of an extensive sperm aster nucleated by the sperm-derived centrosome.